The Company’s commitment to implementing CSR for the community is realized through social development, education, and public relations. In this regard, the Company’s main focus is employing local workforce to work in its mining areas. To date, 70% of the Company’s workforce in its mining areas are local.
The CSR programs are implemented through careful planning by the Company’s internal management and village apparatus or community groups so that CSR activities achieve their intended targets in line with the needs of the society. The suitability and effectiveness of completed programs will be evaluated to determine whether or not they will be continued or diverted to other programs.
With regard to its responsibility, the Company implements the following 3 basic programs.
- Community Relations
- Conduct regular meetings with community representatives.
- Provision of religious festivities.
- Community Development
- Education, in the form of scholarships, try outs and tutoring, “1,000 Excellent Teachers Training Program” in collaboration with Tanah Bumbu Regency administration, as well as donations for school infrastructure development.
- Health, in the form of activities to improve the nutrition for toddlers at public maternal health centers (Posyandu), including counseling on dental hygiene, mass circumcision, as well as the provision of health equipment at community healthcare centers around the Company’s mining areas.
- Economic and infrastructure development, through cattle, goats, and freshwater fish farming, as well as the empowerment of culinary SMEs. In infrastructure development, the Company had built roads connecting villages, and supporting the provision of clean water supply facilities, as well as the construction of houses of worship, schools, and healthcare centers.
- Community Empowerment
The Company also consistently empowers and develops the local economy for the communities around its operational areas through agriculture and livestock. Efforts made by the Company included community coaching in P3T areas for vegetable farming in order to be resold or consumed by residents, coaching on cattle, goat, and chicken farming in several areas in Kalimantan, coaching on snack production in Tanjung Belit and Talang Silungko Villages, as well as various other empowerment programs.
The aforementioned CSR programs and activities are expected to provide positive contributions to local communities. The Company’s prominent CSR activities in the field of community empowerment are as follows:
- Chicken farming program
Through PT Borneo Indobara, the chicken farming CSR program is implemented in Angsana Village, Angsana Sub-district through a partnership with “Bina Bersama” Angsana Village-Owned Enterprise. The Company constructed the chicken coop, lodges for administrators and chicken feed, feeding equipment, water towers, and plumbing.
The CSR team constructed a 8×70 meter coop capable of holding 5,000 chickens by partnering with a third party that serves as a chicken partnership company. Under the ongoing partnership, the third party is responsible for chicken seeds, feed, and medicines until harvest. The revenue-sharing system used in this program is as follows: sales proceeds after the cost of seeds, feed and medicines during a certain period is the profit of chicken farming for that period that will be managed directly by Angsana Village-Owned Enterprise. The chicken farming program is expected to improve the economy of the local communities so that they can grow and be independent.
- Cattle farming program
Through PT Kuansing Inti Makmur, the Company has implemented cattle farming program for 4 calves and 7 cows. The Company partners with the local villagers who will recommend qualified farmers for the program. The supervision is conducted by villagers together with the Company. The program is implemented by utilizing the 3M (communities empower communities) scheme through profit sharing: 50% for the farmers and 50% for the village. The scheme is expected to enable the recipient villages to establish their own business entity (Cooperative/Village-Owned Enterprise) that contributes to their respective village revenue.
The cost of community-related CSR programs implementation in 2017 amounted to Rp3,830,566,544.